Scunthorpe is located just to the east of the River Trent, in the county of Lincolnshire, approximately 166 miles north of London and 23 miles north-east of Doncaster.
The town has a population of around 62,000 and is within the local government administrative area of North Lincolnshire which covers an area of approximately 85,000 hectares.
Just a collection of five quiet villages up to 1860, Scunthorpe owes its rapid growth since to the discovery of vast iron-stone deposits and the subsequent development of its steel industry. It is also a garden town notable for its attractive parks and open spaces and there are some notable historic buildings in the vicinity including the magnificent Regency Normanby Hall built in 1825.
Historically the town has been one of Britain's major steel producing centres although this position is now under threat. Fortunately investment and the skills of the local workforce have attracted newer and more diverse industries to the area predominantly in the manufacturing sector, power generation, pharmaceuticals and petrochemical sectors.
The name Scunthorpe derives from the Old Scandinavian 'thorp' meaning 'hamlet' which belonged to a man named 'Skuma'. The name is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086) as Escumetorp.
This film about the history of Scunthorpe was produced by students at Foxhills School Technology College during Cafesociety.org and BBC Blast workshop....
A serise of images showing Scunthorpe Iron & Steel Industrial Heritage.....