The Royal Burgh of Peebles is located on the River Tweed, at the confluence with Eddleston Water, in the county of Peeblesshire, approximately 385 miles north of London and 19 miles west of Galashiels.
The town has a population of around 7,000. Administratively it is within the local government district of Scottish Borders which covers an area of approximately 4,732 sq kms.
Renowned for its salmon fishing, Peebles is an attractive and peaceful town of wide streets and fine architecture which is predominantly Victorian. There are some notable historic buildings, including the remains of the 13th century Cross Kirk, and the Parish Church of St Andrew, founded in1195, with its soaring crown spire standing at the western end of the High Street. There are good shopping and leisure facilities and numerous visitor attractions in and around the town, and it is a good base from which to explore the surrounding area.
The town's history dates from the 12th century although settlement here was earlier. St Andrew's Church was founded in 1195 but it was later destroyed by the soldiers of Henry VIII, at the time of the Dissolution, and today the only surviving part of the original building is the tower. Another ancient church, Cross Kirk was founded in 1261. During the Middle Ages, Peebles had a town wall protecting it, on the sides not protected by the rivers, the remains of which can be seen to the north and south ends of the Station car park.
Historically a significant part of the town's economy was based upon the woollen industry of the Scottish Borders. Today tourism has grown in importance with Peebles becoming a popular tourist destination. With its proximity to Edinburgh many residents also commute to work in the capital.
The name Peebles derives from the Celtic word 'pebyll', meaning 'tent', and refers to a site here where the nomadic Gadeni tribe used to camp.
The town's motto is 'Contra Nando Incrementum' which means 'Against the stream they multiply', referring to the salmon for which the River Tweed at Peebles is celebrated. The Coat of Arms for the Burgh of Peebles comprises three salmon naiant counter naiant, beneath the legend "Contra nando incrementum1".
It has become very popular with mountain bikers and has always been popular with walkers. Glentress Forest Peebles Scottish Borders....
During the summer of 2005 Hugh Peebles climbed to the top of the Peebles Parish Church steeple to photograph the Make Poverty History bike ride. While....